Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Meeting Ollie in '91


I had the opportunity about 20 years ago (!) - to meet and get the advice of Ollie Johnston, one of the famous "Nine Old Men" of Disney animation. He was at the animation art gallery at the Disneyland Hotel for the release of his and Frank Thomas' book about the making of Bambi. It was early and barely anyone was there, so I asked if he'd be interested in giving me some animation advice. "Sure," he said, so I ran all the way back to my car in the Disneyland parking lot (now California Adventure) to grab a couple of my primitive flipbooks. Back at the gallery, he graciously flipped through them, said that they needed "more squash and stretch" and wished me luck, as I had told him that I was applying for CalArts. A wonderful and endlessly inspiring person, for whom I will always be grateful. He passed on in April of 2008.

4 comments:

Heather Dixon said...

How awesome! I'm jealous of you :D

Eric Scales said...

I loved that Gallery. I bought my first cel there- a sericel of Peter Pan fighting Captain Hook. God it's a horibble cell. The colors are awful but at the time I didn't know any better.

Ron said...

That's great - was it the one with Pan standing on the end of Hook's sword?

Eric Scales said...

Not standing, but holding Hook's sword down with his knife. The black lines are very harsh and the colors are not particularly accurate to the film, but I was a huge Peter Pan freak at the time.